Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent Calendar - December 5 (Sinterklaas) - Leon van der Made

An actor's dreams and doubts Advent Calendar presents - December 5 - Leon van der Made from the Netherlands. He is not an actor but he is part of my acting community since he lives in the middle of it. Today the Dutch are celebrating Sinterklaas. The word is his:  
 
 

Traditions: Santa Claus versus Sinterklaas


Largely thanks to Lina, I meet a lot of interesting international people (many of them taking part in this Advent Calendar). I can't blame these people for having the idea that Dutch people are renown for stealing; I know we have a history of overtaking land from poor countries, 'importing' products that locals actually needed themselves,  or just stealing bikes from fellow citizens. Even THE big Dutch tradition of 'Sinterklaas' on the 5th of December seems a direct copy of good old Santa Claus and his Christmas. But wait a minute, here's a big misunderstanding!  

Opposed to popular belief, the internationally celebrated Santa Claus was actually 'invented' many centuries after the good old Dutch Sinterklaas. Both grey old men look a lot alike, but in this case it wasn't the Dutch who couldn't come up with an idea themselves! The word 'Sinterklaas' can already be found in 13th century writings and comes from a certain 'Saint Nicholas', and Santa Claus didn't show up until about five centuries later. He only got widely known it his current form after Coca-Cola adopted him for their commercials in the early 20th century!

There are plenty of similarities between the celebrations of Sinterklaas and Santa Claus. On both occasions the presents are a big deal. Sinterklaas is handing them out because it's the day before his birthday and Santa Claus because eh... dunno... Coca-Cola wants to remind children of 'being sweet is good'? Another similarity lies in the amounts of food consumed. The Dutch wouldn't be the Dutch if they wouldn't take the opportunity to eat heaps of sugar sweet stuff including marzipan, sugar pigs, foam animals and various kinds of cookies. Things that I of course highly prefer over stuffed turkey or the likes.

But even though I'm a terrible materialist, the actual great thing of this celebration is getting together with relatives and/or friends. The special warm feeling that many people associate with Christmas, I personally get with Sinterklaas. We draw lots with names months in advance, so everyone has time to buy presents and write poems to another. The end-of-year reflection (mentioned by various predecessors on this blog) you don't need to do yourself: in the poems written about you you'll be reminded of everything you failed at and all the times you made a fool out of yourself. You gotta love your family those moments.

I do enjoy Christmas as a family get-together but in my family Sinterklaas has deeper roots. I believed in Sinterklaas until I was almost 10 years old. For me Sinterklaas was the highlight of the year and something to look forward to from as early as September. I just didn't want to believe my classmates who kept telling me it was all fake. To me it was real; I didn't want to investigate how an old man on a horse could ride the roofs of our houses and drop presents through the chimney. My love for the Sinterklaas celebration got deeply rooted then and will never go away.

I value traditions. The longer they  go back in time, the more authentic they feel. I'm sure that if we continue to put as much effort into Christmas as we're doing the last years (large family buffet dinners, Lina's continuous efforts to make it the party of the year, etc), Christmas will become equally important. And hey, it's actually not a competition, what's wrong with having two big celebrations every December...?!

I wish you all a joyful December with the people dear to you and with your own traditions.

Leon
 
December 5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment