Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Advent Calendar - December 4 - Maria Dicieanu

An actor's dreams and doubts Advent Calendat presents: December 4 - Maria Dicieanu from Romania. Maria edited the first film project that I acted in and we have been friends ever since. The word is hers.




Tell the Wolves I’m Home


When Lina asked me to pick a day for my Advent blog post, I just knew it had to be 4th of December. It was my grandpa’s birthday and he simply adored Christmas so I figured it would be a good way to show just how special this holiday is to me. I did consider the possibility of having bitten slightly more than I could chew, as my grandpa was the first person I genuinely lost in an irremediable way…Not a person I knew that died, but a person that I lost, a person that used to be mine… But I thought the Christmas spirit would prevail, the warmth and happiness this holiday brings, the genuine joy of opening and giving presents and all the good memories with my family, would chase away any unwanted thoughts, the monsters and dark creatures would be stashed in a dark locked closet and I would simply be safe and ok.

Everything was going according to plan, I had sketched the post in my head, had thought to include a link to one of Stefan’s Hrusca carols (a Romanian artist whose songs have become as necessary to Christmas as having a tree or being home) and was already thinking of my top 3 X-mas movies (featuring Love Actually[1], Miracle on 34th Street [2] and Look Who’s Talking Now[3]). But then I just had to read and sink in “Tell the Wolves I’m Home” by Carol Rifka Brunt. And all of a sudden, instead of being home in a warm and cozy environment, I was all by myself in a dark wood hearing the wolves howling, heart torn in pieces and having to face my fears and think back about the loss of my grandfather. The book is centered around June, a 14 year old girl who has recently lost her uncle and best friend Finn. Their relationship is so special and beautiful that even if you hadn’t experienced a close personal loss like she has, it is still incredibly easy to feel every single emotion the young girl is going through. Useless to say it broke my heart in every possible way and even though my relationship with my grandpa was never as extraordinary as June’s with Finn, we were still close in a way that he wasn’t with my cousin and I wasn’t with my other grandparents. They say you can’t choose your family but I would have chosen him as my grandpa nonetheless.

Still, even after finishing the book I could have dragged myself to write a happy post about everything nice I love about Christmas, about the special foods we Romanians prepare or about how every year on the 24th December I decorate the tree with my mum and dad. But then I suddenly looked on the window and saw it was snowing. Not the fluffy cheerful snowman material type, but the one mixed with wind, and rain, and cold coming from heavy grey clouds. The type of snow that makes you happy you are inside.

And then it occurred to me that that’s exactly what I love the most about Christmas: the confrontations it brings: to still believe in the special spirit, while you know Santa is not real; to long so much to be with the family and close friends knowing though it will only make the absent members missed even more; to prepare and eat much too much food than necessary, to listen on repeat to the same carols until you can’t stand them anymore, to stress and run around for buying the perfect gifts for everybody. And at the same time having the comfort and knowing it all it will be ok, that you will end up enjoying everything despite the troubles and it would simply not be Christmas, real Christmas, without any of these things.

It’s safe to go in the woods on Christmas. It’s safe to face your fears and admit you’re not as strong as you thought and you do need the support of the loved ones. The wolves can howl as much as they want, because on that day you can simply tell them you’re at home and nothing they do frightens you.

I think I finally understood why I love so much to go to Church on Christmas Eve though I am not that religious and I don’t even bother to go to an orthodox church.  It’s just that once you’re out there in the cold and you come back in the house, it’s the best feeling in the whole wide world.  At least for me…


P.S. Though it’s not his best, this carol by Hrusca tells exactly the story of some children and their mum, enjoying the warmth of the fireplace and the stories of baby Jesus, while outside it’s cold and snowing.






No comments:

Post a Comment