Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advent Calendar - December 18 - Debby Mulholland


An actor's dreams and doubts Advent Calendar proudly presents - December 18 - Debby Mulholland from New Zealand. I am very happy that my teacher and friend Debby wanted to take part in this project. Without her I am not sure what would have happened to my acting. She has provided us with the best teachers and she has been teaching me for the last five year. I cannot say thank you enough. The word is hers.

Debby



I love my Mum’s stories, she’s full of them, and I can hear them over and over.

I love the one’s that begin… ‘When you were little’. 

‘Oh, one Christmas morning when you were really little…  we had only just finished wrapping your presents, and within five minutes of putting them under the tree you were awake, we hadn’t even put the glass of milk out for Father Christmas… you were up at 1am opening them’!

Or… ‘One year, we didn’t have a lot of money…. we bought a few small things for under the tree, and we decided to get some balloons to make it a bit more Christmassy, and we let them go in your bedroom. You woke us up with squeals of delight; there were coloured balloons everywhere around you and on the ceiling… Your brother was laughing and crying at the same time. I’ll never forget it.

And… ‘Your father and I had been out late one Christmas Eve…  And had come home with fish and chips, we’d finished eating them while wrapping your presents, and had put the left overs on the kitchen counter, it was well after three by the time we went to bed. In the morning we came downstairs to find that you had all been up, opened your presents, and fed the fish with the left over fish and chips! ....  And you’d added tomato sauce! the Fish tank was swimming in it! I couldn’t believe my eyes… There you were sat on a stool in the middle of the lounge buttering crackers, and adding cheese… to feed the damned gold fish! Your father went nuts; all the pots and pans were out of the cupboards lined up on the bench while he tried to save his fish. Honestly what a palaver. Okay well, your sister was the instigator there, you were too young. 

One year, your great auntie Eddie sent us the most exquisite box of Christmas decorations… Oh when I think back, they were beautiful. The tree looked gorgeous with the lights reflecting off them. In the morning I came down and there were bits of screwed up tinsel all over the floor…  your sister had figured out they were chocolates… every single one… gone.

‘Oh and… I’ll never forget the year we decided to put your presents in pillowcases at the end of your bed. We had only just moved into the house after living in that small apartment. And you were all, three of you, sleeping together in a double bed… and somehow during the night you had moved places.  Very early that morning we heard screams coming from your room…  we rushed in to see you had opened your pillowcase and pulled out a bow and arrow! You cried your heart out…  your brother had pulled out a doll, and the earth opened up and he fell into it… honest, I’ve never seen such a face…  such a sensitive boy your brother’.

‘So we decided the next year to wait till after breakfast. Robert was just a wee baby then.  Your Grandmother liked to have a cup of tea in bed, then an English breakfast. It was sooo painful watching you kids sit under the Christmas tree, you’d been up since 5 am waiting, and waiting, having felt every single present over and over trying to guess what was inside, until the paper had almost disintegrated’. One thing she did do, she did teach you how to open your presents without tearing the paper, and how to save it no matter how crinkled it was.

And it always puzzled me how the Christmas cards had scenes of snow covered villages with steeples, and people wore fur hats and ear-warmers, and gloves, mittens or muffs… when our Christmas was sun, sea, and sunscreen. It seemed the real Christmas belonged somewhere else.

And then I grew up.

And had Christmas’s away from the family… at the beach with bonfires, and BBQ’s, and camping, and dancing with friends

And then I went and saw the real Christmas, and it was a bonus, cause I had gone to study to become an actress, and to at last spend time with my Uncle and Aunt and cousins.

And I had Christmas’s with snow, and mulled wine. And massive awe-inspiring neon Christmas lights smiled across triple lane highways in the middle of cities. And the shop window displays were Christmas heaven. And I hunted out perfect Christmas cards in ancient churches, with the buzz and traffic all around, and stamped my feet against the cold while waiting for late night buses. And had champagne breakfasts on rooftops with flatmates, and friends.

And being a student was all, bits of paper with messages like…  ‘This Christmas certificate gives the bearer a free movie pass, paid by…(fill in the name) or…  ‘This is a Christmas reminder that … (fill in the name) will have a new second hand something…  as soon as I have money for it’.

I was a student of the theatre, and life was like living in my own movie, and every-day I became more me. And it was a dream so real I loved it all the more. With games and laughter and food and love.  And of course with some knocks along the way.

My enthusiasm was unchartered, my energy was good, and I know, sometimes annoying. And it attracted a gorgeous blue bearded prince charming. He became my life. I wanted our happiness to grow. I knew it could.  He was so sad. I would look at him and feel his sadness so deeply. His stories were horror stories. Then the slow realization hit one stone at a time. I had married someone who didn’t believe in Christmas, or children, or people, or love, at all.  I couldn’t breathe. I had arrived at the rest of my life… at forever… at ‘to death do us part’. And I was living in the stingiest place on earth.

It was the hardest lesson.

Life with someone who doesn’t share in your joy, but looks at it with derision and scorn is an enemy at the gate. A newspaper up in your face at Christmas without a word is a crime against the heart. And you send back the gift given you. Till scorn and derision become the hammer that drive the nails deeper… sealing the coffin that holds your love. Forever.  And like a cub being pulled away from a dying friend, it was hard to go.

I let go.

Silence.

And was a foreigner.

Lost.

For along time.

Silence.

So distant. 

Everything… so distant.

He was not your family.

‘Go to your Uncle’, your Dad tells you.’ Look after her for us’, he told him.

You got out of bed.

And slowly, very slowly, the fear, distrust, and alienation pealed away…  and past love fused with present, uncovered, shows you your protected soul.

My family know the games, and food and laughter and children, and being together. And they have that spirit every day of the year, and this is where I want to live, in this feeling everyday, forever.

And we had beautiful Christmas’s, with snow, and walk’s over peaks and through valleys, and snow balls, and games of soccer with the little ones on a white field in the middle of a Christmas card village with steeples, and snowmen, and pantomimes in Victorian theatres, and holding on to each other on slippery ice.

Oh and seeing my uncle carolling… playing the cornet in the brass band with sheets of music… and we the choristers’ singing along… the joy! We went from one old English pub to the next with huffed breath and snow covered boots… their fireplaces blazing, Christmas trees splendidly adorned and fern covered heaths and mulled wine and cheer.

They repaired my heart and my faith. Thank God for them.

And then I began to have my own Christmas’s with friends whose families lived somewhere else. We came together in the spirit of Christmas… at my house… at their house, bringing potluck’s, and presents. We met in bars…  in café’s….  in restaurants….  all woolly hats, and scarfs and mittens. In a white cottage on top of a cliff over-looking a wild Welsh sea.  Dancing in the square of a communist country whose government had given Christmas back to its people. And In Paris, opening presents on Christmas Eve, then heading out wrapped up against the cold, down ancient stairs from one arrondissement to another…. walking and laughing. This time up, climbing grooved stone stairs inside an ancient cathedral, higher and steeper, winding up, stopping for moments to peer through tiny medieval windows, to glimpse a diamond lit city below. And further we go, up, and into the bowels of a giant musical instrument… We spread out, feeling the space, and lay down giving ourselves to the centuries old wooden floor a mile above the congregation, and watched as the organ player danced on the keys and pedals like an acrobatic Mozart, every breath placed, poised, executed… and delivered…. the perfect olympic movement in harmony…. all of us spellbound by the magic, in tune with the vibration, of every beat…  till, we, he, the music, and the voices of the congregation below, lifted, mingled, and found each other….  to become one. And we looked over the edge of the pipes knowing no one could see us watching, and we watched the Parisian’s who had come to midnight mass to sing like angels.

And more.

And we lost loved ones along the way. All of us here have lost loved ones along the way.

And we couldn’t save them…  but in our hearts.

And now.

Today.

It is time.

I’m packed.

And am boarding a plane.

On my way… home … to have Christmas with my family. With my mum and brothers and sister and nephews… For the first time in forever, and it will be the best Christmas… cause I don’t know how many more we will have.

And it’s scary… cause I’m afraid to leave here… and then I will be afraid to leave there. 

I’ll take a deep breath and drop into the sky and hope like hell.

And we’ll wait till after breakfast to open our presents, even though the littlest have opened theirs.  And we’ll make snowmen out of sand on the beach.  The pohutukawa will be our Christmas tree, and the pukako will be on the Christmas cards, and we’ll have ham on the bone, and tomatoes fresh from the garden with our turkey sandwiches, and pavlova decorated with cream, strawberries, kiwi fruit and hokey-pokey ice cream for dessert.

And we’ll wash the dishes and dry them and put them away, all of us talking at once over top of each other.

And we’ll think of those who aren’t with us and we’ll send them love.

And we’ll go fishing.

 

I raise my glass with you all…

A toast to the spirit of Christmas… 

May it live everyday in all of us

 
Merry Christmas.

Kirihimete.

 
Love you and you and you….

Xxxxx Deb

 
And here’s my little surprise package…





Susan, Doug and Debby
 

December 18
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment