Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mothers ♥


This has been a remarkable weekend. New life happens every day but it is not that often that you get to experience it up close. This weekend I became an aunt for the third time.

Mothers are amazing. They carry us for nine months and then suffer immense amounts of pain when pushing us out into the world.

My teacher used to say that as actors we have to show our warts and bumps because the imperfections are what makes us interesting. It is a superficial industry in many ways so this is not always easy. We go through a lot of effort to hide our imperfections instead of embracing them.

She said we have to get in there, we have to do the work and we have to get dirty if we want to be good at what we do. We struggle a lot with this. It sometimes hurts to be good.

Next time I am afraid of showing my warts and bumps and to get really dirty I will think of all mothers around me and my own. A mother giving birth does the work and shows all her warts and bumps. She can't afford to think twice about getting dirty. She does the work like no other.  

Did you ever ask you mother how it was for her to carry you for nine months and how it was when you were born?     
 


No comments:

Post a Comment