Monday, November 5, 2012

Lines, lines, lines...


Studying lines is probably one of the most boring parts of the acting process but knowing your lines inside out, backwards, forwards and upside-down gives you a lot of freedom to explore the piece that you are working on.

I meet many people who are fascinated by the fact that actors can learn lines. That is often one of the first questions that I get when I say I am an actor: ‘How to you manage to learn your lines?’ The truth is that anyone can do it. The biggest issue with lines is that beginners often underestimate the importance of how good you have to know your lines.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to learning and working with lines. Some want to rehears with the text in their hand. Some mark places in the text that they want to stress and some are very good at this. I want to learn my lines like a robot. I don't want to add emotion to the text until I know it inside out. I don’t want it to sound like a line reading. I don’t want to decide which words to stress. I let the emotion take care of that later. Meisner said that the text is a canoe that floats on a river that is your emotions.

Sometimes you have to accept that you don't have time to learn your lines that well and you have to rehears anyway.

The text often goes out the window when  you add the emotional preparation of your character. It's when you know you text so well that you don't have to stop and think about what to say next that the magic happens.

Personally I am very bad at cold readings, which make auditions very hard, but when I know my lines my strength is when the emotions kick in.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment